GDR will provide single rooms where possible upon request.
Please call our office for more information.
Working in collaboration with SmileFaith, a 501(c)(3) organization, volunteers provide dental care to children in and around Jenkins, Kentucky.
Volunteers stay in a home that has been converted into a guesthouse by SmileFaith for volunteers. The project lasts eight days, which includes: travel time to Kentucky, orientation and five days working in the dental clinic.
February 19 – 26, 2023
October 15 – 22, 2023
February 18 – 25, 2024
October 6 – 13, 2024
- Seven nights’ accommodations in the guesthouse
- Three meals per day during the clinic
- Celebratory farewell dinner
- Signature GDR T-shirt and water bottle
Plus, you will get all this too:
- A small group of 8 to 10 volunteers
- The chance to make connections and create lifelong memories with new friends from all over the world
- GDR Return Volunteer Discount on all future projects
- Two GDR designated trip leaders
- A GDR coordinator in the office to answer questions and ensure you are prepared for your trip
Day 1: Arrive Jenkins. On arrival, meet your project leader and fellow volunteers. Overnight at the guesthouse in Jenkins. (-/-/D)
Day 2: Jenkins. Morning project briefing. Afternoon start working in the clinic. Overnight at the guesthouse. (B/L/D)
Day 3: Jenkins. Full day working in the clinic. Overnight at the guesthouse in Jenkins. (B/L/D)
Day 4: Jenkins. Full day working in the clinic. Overnight at the guesthouse in Jenkins. (B/L/D)
Day 5: Jenkins. Day off to explore the area. (B/-/-)
Day 6: Jenkins. Full day working in the clinic. Overnight at the guesthouse in Jenkins. (B/L/D)
Day 7: Jenkins. Full day working in the clinic. Overnight at the guesthouse in Jenkins. (B/L/D)
Day 8: End Jenkins. Depart today for your journey home. (B/-/-)
Clinics are fast paced and include a moderate amount of physical activity each day. On our Jenkins dental project, you will need to:
- Walk approximately 20 minutes daily (10 minutes each way) to and from the clinic site.
- Be able to stand and/or walk (including climbing stairs) for approximately two hours at a time during sightseeing tours.
- Sleep with some street noise
- After orientation, be able to navigate the walk to clinic location and local restaurants.